Re: Implementations/Non-Implementations of xs:redefine?

I very much agree with Kay.
Furthermore the restriction/extension mechanism is
rather limited and might not allow everything you
would want to do.
Btw. the Base-Type is kind of overwritten by the
redefinition by altering the contents of the original
namespace, that is you create a secondary meaning to
the original namespace which could in some contexts
lead to scheme-identification problems
(e.g.scheme-caching with xerces).

Wolfgang Krpelan
IT-Architect

--- Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com> wrote:

> Michael Kay wrote:
> > I think it's not so much a question of whether
> tools implement redefine or
> > not, it's a question of whether they handle the
> corner cases, and how they
> > handle the cases that are not well-described in
> the specification. Examples
> > are whether two schema documents B and C can both
> redefine A, and under what
> > circumstances those redefinitions can coexist. Or
> what happens if you load a
> > schema incrementally (for example because of
> xsi:schemaLocation) and you've
> > already started validating before you encounter a
> redefinition. Or what
> > happens if you are doing something other than
> straight validation.
> >
> > I think it would be wise for anyone using
> xs:redefine to check that their
> > usage of it is supported by the tools they
> consider important in their
> > market.
>
> Yes, that's the essential question, but for a
> standard, the market is
> "anyone who might use DITA", which is essentially
> anyone who might use
> XML for any sort of human-readable content.
>
> I guess the most reasonable thing to do is to create
> a set of
> DITA-specific test cases that can be used to
> evaluate products' handling
> of redefine as well as document the limitation in
> using XSD at all for
> specialization.
>
> It goes without saying that I've very disappointed
> the xs:override
> proposal as pushed off for 1.1--that would have made
> things so much
> easier. But I certainly understand the pressures
> that require those
> sorts of hard decisions to be made. I, and the
> entire DITA community,
> certainly appreciate the effort made in putting the
> proposal forward.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eliot
> --
> Eliot Kimber
> Senior Solutions Architect
> "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology
> Together"
> Main: 610.631.6770
> www.reallysi.com
> www.rsuitecms.com