RE: Repeating elements with fixed attribute values

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:09:51 -0000
To: "'King, Jeffrey \(Mission Systems\)'" <Jeff.King@ngc.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> However, I am
> wondering that if XML Schema 1.0 does not support it, then
> maybe it's trying to tell me it's not good approach.  Are
> there any reasons (other than XML Schema 1.0 does not support
> it) why using the design I presented below is poor?

One can't say that something is poor design without knowing the design

One of the main reasons for using what I call "meta-level markup" is that it
allows you to have highly variable data within the constraints of a fixed
schema. For example, you can have a wide variety of documents of the form

and they all have the same schema; whereas if you use conventional markup

then each document needs its own schema.

You seem to be trying to use meta-level markup together with a
document-specific schema, and that's not a combination that works especially

Michael Kay