RE: using entities from dtd in schema

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:45:23 -0000
To: "'Andreas Peter'" <info@minimag.de>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I have come to realize that it is always you who answers my
> silly questions :-) Okay, I understand. So I have to explain
> a liite more: I am writing a schema for Word 2007 templates
> which should be validated against a schema. My structure is
> clear so far. But the author should only be allowed to use
> some special charcters. And those special characters, e.g.
> greek characters, should be defined inside the schema, if
> this is possible?

You can use the xs:pattern facet to control which characters can legally
appear in the value of an element or attribute. But you can't control the
different ways of writing such characters - directly, via entity references,
or via character references. If they're allowed at all, then they can be
written in any way that XML permits.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/