Re: assertion failures - providing feedback

From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:44:19 +0000
To: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

On 14/02/2008, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> Given that XML Schema doesn't provide any facilities for customising error
>  messages anywhere else (e.g. for failures to match the grammar of a complex
>  type, failure to match a regular expression, key/keyref failures, etc) do
>  you think there is a good case to treat assertions differently? Or is it
>  just an expectation that comes from what Schematron does?

I don't know Schematron, but Java assertions and JUnit both have a
mechanism for it so it seems reasonable to expect it.

Given the possibilities of what you can check with an assertion, it
would be helpful to provide a message rather than the code when the
test fails.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com