Re: Abstract element and xsi:nil

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris@codesynthesis.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:45:47 +0200
To: Morris Matsa <mmatsa@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Morris,

Morris Matsa <mmatsa@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Since the typing system isn't just for validation, it makes sense to
> me that abstract types can't be instantiated.

In case of xsi:nil="true" no type is going to be instantiated. It is
like assigning NULL to a pointer that otherwise would point to an
instance of a type. In this light I don't see a reason in prohibiting
xsi:nil="true" in an element of a nillable abstract type.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC