whiteSpace facet

From: Shlomo Yona <S.Yona@F5.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:47:51 -0800
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hello,

My questions are regarding White Space Normalization during Validation
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-1-20041028/structures.html#d0e16
54.

1.	Is there a "default" value for the whiteSpace facet for
xsd:string, xsd:normalizedString and xsd:token?
2.	What is the value of the whiteSpace facet for xsd:string? I
assumed it was 'preserve'. Is it?
3.	What is the value of the whiteSpace facet for
xsd:normalizedString? I assumed it was 'replace'. Is it?
4.	What is the value of the whiteSpace facet for xsd:token? I
assumed it was 'collapse'. Is it?

For example, if I have an element of type xsd:normalizedString and in
the XML instance the value of that element contains newline characters
should I:

a.	Expect an error/warning because the newline character is not in
the lexical space of xsd:normalizedString?
b.	Expect the newline to be replaced with a space before validation
proceeds?
c.	Something else?

I'd go for "a" if the (implied?) "default" value for the whiteSpace
facet was "preserve".

I'd go with "b" if the answer for question #3 was that the value is (or
is implied to be) "replace".

But I just don't know.

Can you please point to the relevant section(s) in the XML Schema 1.0
recommendation that supports your answer?

Thank you.

Shlomo.