Use of blockDefault="#all"

From: David Carver <d_a_carver@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:41:13 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I think I'm running into an interpretation issue by the various XML
tools on how to handle #all value for block and blockDefault attributes.

It appears that xsi:types are still allowed to appear in a document if
the type value is the same as the value defined for an element.  Some
data binding tools seem to be outputing xsi:types when not necessary and
this is causing some tool interoperability issues.

Xerces 2.8.1 and 2.9 seem to allow xsi:type to be included, as to XML
Spy (I take with a grain of salt).   I'm curious how Saxon interprets
the #all value.

My interpretation would be that xsi:type would not be allowed at all in
the xml instance if a schema has the blockDefault attribute set to #all,
but it seems that, isn't the case at least with Xerces.

Dave