Re: XML Schemas patterns (was: Re: Defining recursive elements?)

From: Pete Cordell <petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:42:52 +0100
To: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

----- Original Message From: "Michael Kay" <...>

> Also of course there is the terrible danger of writing
>
> <xs:element name="z">
>  <xs:complexType>
>   <xs:sequence>
>     <xs:element name="e"/>
>   </xs:sequence>
>  </xs:complexType>
> </xs:element>

> an error whose only effect is that invalid documents are not detected as
> such.

I think you're saying that if a local element was only allowed to use the
ref attribute (rather than name and type), things would be better.

Personally, I think a better fix to this problem would be to not allow
default types.  So if a name was present, then either a type attribute
must be present or (less preferably) a local type definition.

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd
for XML Schema to C++ data binding visit
 http://www.tech-know-ware.com/lmx/
 http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/