RE: SV: What's a valid instance...James Clark

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:57:17 -0000
To: "'Bryan Rasmussen'" <BRS@itst.dk>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Cc: "'C. M. Sperberg-McQueen'" <cmsmcq@acm.org>

> now I have seen a lot of this kind of structure over the last
> few years and I really can't remember seeing much of it
> before XML Schema became the de facto standard for doing
> validation in XML. And I think it is a response to this lack
> of being able to define a validation root. But you may have
> another opinion.

I see a lot of atrocious design in the use of namespaces, and I don't think
it has anything to do with weaknesses in XML Schema - it's caused by the
fact that the whole namespace concept was a disaster from day one.

(I'm sure I said on xml-dev back in 1999 that it didn't matter that
namespaces were bad, because they were so bad that no-one would use them.
But I've never been able to find the quote.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/