RE: Permit (greedy) conflicting wildcards

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:43:08 -0000
To: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "'Pete Cordell'" <petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> Nonetheless, it was because we realized that some users would
> want more help from the content model itself that we are
> likely to propose the notQName="##defined"
> construct (which, by the way, is known informally in the
> workgroup and in some blog postings I think as the "Not In
> Schema" or NIS wildcard.

The thing I'm having trouble understanding is that this seems to assume a
rather finite and predictable schema. It seems to make the outcome of a
validation episode rather dependent on the set of element declarations that
happen to be lying around in your schema cache. Validation of a document
containing @xml:space will succeed until you install a new version of your
schema processor that has a built-in attribute declaration for @xml:space,
and then it will suddenly start failing because @xml:space is now in "the
schema".