From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: â 06 îøõ 2007 23:26
To: Shlomo Yona; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: any validation for elements

I think your interpretation is pretty close.

Why use strict? It's useful when you are writing a schema that you expect to
be imported into another schema. It says "at this point you can insert any
element that has been defined in the importing schema".

With lax, if you find an element that has a definition in the schema, then
you validate it according to that definition (that is, you validate the
whole subtree). There's some debate about what you do with elements that
don't have a definition in the schema, the usual view seems to be that you
carry on doing lax validation to the grandchildren and so on.

Michael Kay

http://www.saxonica.com/

  _____