xsd:any validation for elements

From: Shlomo Yona <S.Yona@F5.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:56:09 -0800
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hello,

I'm not sure that I'm clear about the parsing instructions for xsd:any.
Your help in interpretation of the standard is most appreciated:

The "skip" parser instruction in xsd:any says (I think) - only perform
well formedness and namespace checks but don't try to validate element
names and types.

The "lax" parser instruction in xsd:any says (I think) - same as skip
but if you encounter an element name that is defined in your schema,
then validate it against the schema.

The "strict" says (I think) - same as "lax" but if you don't know the
element name - it is a validation error.

The following things make me think that I misinterpret the standard
correctly:

*	Why use "strict"? you might as well not defined your content
group as xsd:any.
*	The "lax" confuses me because I'm not sure if when I encounter
<a> I should make sure that all its child elements and attributes
conform with the schema or just <a> itself with its attributes

Actually, there are a few more unclear things, but I might resolve them
if I get the above stuff straight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shlomo.