Re: References to a value of an element in another element?

From: Pete Cordell <petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:01:50 -0000
To: <ccodere@ieee.org>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Original Message From: "Carl Eric Codere"

> Greetings,
>          What is the section in XML Schema 1.1 draft that explains this
> feature? If this feature is not currently possible in XML Schema, what
> would
> syntax would you suggest?
>
> My goal here is to be able to describe binary file formats using XML
> Schema,
> or any other scheman language (such as ASN.1, does ASN.1 this then?)...
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
> Carl

The section in the version of XSD 1.1 that I have that discusses this is
"3.12 - Assertions".  It probably won't help you much though as this is work
in progress and I doubt any tools support it.

You can find more about Schematron at: http://www.schematron.com/.  Although
you can write XSD schemas that contain Schematron constraints I'm not sure
how many mainstream parsing tools support this.

I have only limited experience of ASN.1.  To my knowledge ASN.1 does not
support this type of constraint, but I could easily be wrong.

It may just be easier to make this an application level check!

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd