Re: regex help

From: Your Name <ratesnow@mortgage-rates-now.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:00:51 -0600
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Just a note on the greediness mentioned here...

My understanding is that the greediness of a regular expression is
only an
issue when you are capturing the values of sub-patterns within the
target
data.  (e.g. in Perl 'ML123' =~ /ML(\d+)/; captures 123 into $1.)
When only
doing matching, eventually, if possible, the pattern will be matched
irrespective of whether greedy or non-greedy matching is used.

Greediness just affects whether the regular expression engine attempts
grab lots of content for a sub-expression in it's first attempt and
them
back track, or attempts to capture the minimal amount in its first
attempt
and then forward track (not sure if that's a proper term!).

If anyone's opinion differs, please let me know