RE: how to define a recursive type depth?

If you really want to enforce this you could define subtypes of
interpretationsTyp that disallow some of the children, for example
interpretationsTyp-no-u would disallow a u (at any depth) and
interpretationsTyp-no-ub would disallow both u and b (at any depth).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com