Re: References to a value of an element in another element?

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris@codesynthesis.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 00:40:51 +0200
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
Cc: ccodere@ieee.org, Pete Cordell <petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi,

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com> writes:

> I personally have mixed feelings about the lack of interoperability that
> results from allowing variation in what conforming processors support, but
> compared to insisting on just the mimum, it has the advantage that you may
> be able to find a Schema 1.1 processor that does what you want.

The main point of using XML Schema for formally specifying XML
vocabularies is to facilitate application interoperability. I
think the smart ones will use the minimal subset expected from
all processors while the not-so-smart ones will arrive at the
same result the hard way. There are already (mis-)features in XML
Schema 1.0 that are avoided pretty much by everyone (e.g., redefine).

-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC