Re: Enumerated complex types

From: Guillaume Lebleu <gl@brixlogic.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:02:04 -0800
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

What I like about the external file is that in the context of my example
(code lists), and in particular in the context of ACORD XML reinsurance
specification, code lists can be exchanged in the form of an XML
document similar to the one you described. Assuming this document is
persisted as a file, allowing the XML Schema to refer to this file could
be useful.

That said, what I don't like with the assert co-constraint approach, is
that I don't see how an XML editor would leverage it for code assist.
Perhaps you could expand on how you see the assert approach with
external XML file as you described could work for code assist.

My idea was something like:

<xs:complexType name="GenericStatus_Type">
   <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="StatusCode" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="Severity" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"/>
      <xs:element name="Desc" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"/>
   </xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="Status_Type">
    <xs:restriction base="GenericStatus_Type">
       <xs:enumeration>
          <ifx:StatusCode>100</ifx:StatusCode>
          <ifx:Status>Error</ifx:Status>
          <ifx:Desc>General Error</ifx:Desc>
       </xs:enumeration>
    </xs:restriction>
</xs:complexType>

The Status_Type could be also part of a separate xs:include xsd file
that can be easily updated dynamically given an XML document containing
the code list. Code assist would be quite easy too.

Guillaume