RE: Expressing relations between types

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 00:21:37 -0000
To: "'Eric MALENFANT'" <Eric.Malenfant@sagem-interstar.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I am thus wondering if there is a better way to define
> "related" types like this.
> For example, is there a way to express the definition of
> EntryPredicate by saying something like "this is the same
> thing than an Entry, replacing dateTime by dateTimeRange,
> unsingedInt by unsignedIntRange"?

Not within the XML Schema language.

Sometimes when your application contains higher-level structures or patterns
like this, it can be appropriate to describe the high-level structure in
your own notation and then generate the XML Schema definitions from this
(typically using XSLT to do the transformation).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/