From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Fortuno, Adam
Sent: 09 August 2007 13:34
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: When to make a new vocabulary...

All,

This is more of a philosophical question rather than a technical question.

I have a vocabulary that my company uses to express mortgage transactions.
As we look to move into consumer lending, this vocabulary isn't sufficient.
We don't have the markup needed to express different types of collateral or
unsecured lending. It leaves us with two options: (1) build upon the
existing vocabulary to handle the new subject matter or (2) develop a new
vocabulary to handle the new subject matter.

Consumer lending is different enough from mortgage lending that I would
prefer to develop a new vocabulary to handle it. However, other believe
strongly we should modify the existing schema.

Has anyone else grappled with this sort of question? Can you offer any
advice based on your experiences? In what cases, does it make sense to make
separate vocabularies rather than one huge one?

A-