RE: Difference between xs:simpleType & xs:complexType

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:41:33 +0100
To: "'selvam'" <jps_cse@yahoo.co.in>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Complex types allow element children, simple types don't.

"Complex types with simple content" allow attributes but not child elements,
for example

<a b="1">ddd</a>

A complex type with "Mixed content" allows character data as well as child
elements, for example

The only time there's any confusion is with empty elements <a/>, which can
be modelled as either complex or simple depending on your whim.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/