From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Sandy Gao
Sent: 18 September 2006 18:47
To: Wolfgang Jeltsch
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: including a schema document multiple times

The spec is clear about multiple inclusion of the same document is OK. See
sections 4.2.1.

"Note: The above is carefully worded so that multiple <include>ing of the
same schema document will not constitute a violation of clause 2 of Schema
Properties Correct (§3.16.6), but applications are allowed, indeed
encouraged, to avoid <include>ing the same schema document more than once to
forestall the necessity of establishing identity component by component."

It's less clear about circular inclusion, but it's generally believed that
it's also allowed.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
XML Parser Development, IBM Canada
(1-905) 413-3255
sandygao@ca.ibm.com

Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang@jeltsch.net>
Sent by: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org

18/09/2006 12:36 PM

xmlschema-dev@w3.org

cc

Subject
including a schema document multiple times

Hello,

is it problematic to include a schema document multiple times via different
paths?  For example, I might have a schema document which includes schema
documents A, B, and C which in turn include a schema document providing
basic
definitions.

What about circular inclusion?

Best wishes,