RE: XML schema for ordinal/nominal variables

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:53:29 -0400
To: "Christian Setzkorn" <christian@setzkorn.eu>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Christian Setzkorn writes:

> PS: I didn't really understand why you use <bob></bob> instead
> of <gender></gender> ... later I would like to use this simple
> type in complex types with complex content model.

No important reason.  I had to make some arbitrary assumptions about your
example, and I guessed wrong.  So, I was guessing you might have:

<genders>
        <bob>1</bob>
        <mary>0</mary>
</genders>

but I can see where it's more likely that you'd have:

<person name="bob" gender="1"/>

or

<person>
        <name>Bob</name>
        <gender>1</gender>
</person>

I think my answer on the type works in any case.

> Many thanks for this. It is exactly what I want.

Terrific.  I'm very glad to help.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation