RE: [ANN] XSDBench XML Schema Benchmark 1.0.0 released

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:33:45 +0100
To: "'Boris Kolpackov'" <boris@codesynthesis.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> That must have been some pretty tight integration of XML
> parsing and schema-based validation. For example when you
> validate, say a float, as an element value then you have to
> look for both legal float characters as well as '<'. ...
> Also I tend to believe that most existing parsers don't have
> this architecture.

I would also question whether the performance benefits are worth the loss of
an architectural boundary between components (the parser and the validator)
that ought to be kept separate from a software engineering perspective. In
general, my experience of systems development says that you tend to regret
doing such things within a couple of years.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/