Re: [ANN] XSDBench XML Schema Benchmark 1.0.0 released

Hi Michael,

Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> writes:

> I don't think you mentioned that you cached the document in memory.

It is mentioned in the "Tests" section of the benchmark description[1].
Here is the test outline for that section:

   1. Read XML instance into memory
   2. Create a parser
   3. Load and cache XML Schema in the parser
   4. Start timer
   5. Perform 10000 parse iterations, resetting the parser if necessary
   6. Stop timer
   7. Destroy the parser

> Is that as unparsed text, as a DOM, or what?

It is raw, unparsed text, just read from the file into a memory buffer.

> About 2.5Mb/s, without taking any special pains (running in the IDE with
> debugging enabled, other applications on the machine, etc). That's parsing
> and validating directly from the file on disk, excluding schema loading
> time, and running the validation 1000 times to get the Java VM fully warmed
> up (the first 500 runs took 55% of the time). I've no idea how the machine
> spec compares with the ones you were using: it's a Centrino laptop.

It is probably quite a bit faster than the Pentium 3 1Ghz I was using.
Though the enabled debugging probably slowed down your code quite a bit
as well. But still interesting.

thanks,
-boris

[1] http://codesynthesis.com/projects/xsdbench/documentation/benchmark.xhtml