Re: [ANN] XSDBench XML Schema Benchmark 1.0.0 released

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris@codesynthesis.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:42:01 +0200
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: "'Boris Kolpackov'" <boris@codesynthesis.com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Michael,

Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> writes:

> Have I missed something, or does this "benchmark" really consist of just a
> single schema and a single instance to be measured?

Yes, because we tried to make it as close to reality as possible. The schema
consists of multiple sub-tests for the most commonly-used features of XML
Schema (structure). It tests:

  * attribute
  * anyAttribute

  * element
  * any

  * all
  * choice
  * sequence

  * complex type empty content, including extension and restriction
  * complex type simple content, including extension and restriction
  * complex type complex content, including extension and restriction

The instance then exercises each of these sub-tests in a number of
ways. This way you get an overall performance of the parsers on the
set of most commonly used features. Of course, you may not use some
of them in your schemas. We still think it is better than to have
a number of small schemas that each exercise an individual feature
because:

  a) this is not what real-life schemas look like

  b) it is not clear how to interpret these results for practical
     purposes (i.e., which parser will be the fastest for my schemas).

-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC