Re: [xml-dev] Is schemaLocation just a hint in schema import?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:47:40 +0100
To: "Antoli, Leo" <Leo.Antoli@Misys.com>
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Antoli, Leo writes:

> Does it mean that you can't have 2 schemas defining different elements for
> the same namespace and then import both from another schema?

Not reliably, no -- that is, since some processors may (XSV does) skip
2nd and subsequent schemaLocs on xs:import.

> Should everything for a given schema be defined in just one schema file? If
> you have a big schema definition for different functional areas, it might be
> useful to split the schema in several files so you don't need to import
> elements that you won't be using.

Perfectly reasonable to split schema doc. for a namespace into
pieces.  Just create a driver file which xs:includes them all (or a
relevant subset), and refer to _that_ file from your xs:import.

- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)