Re: Extensible enumerations in XML Schema

Hi,

You can define the base state to be anySimpleType. Then define the
extendedRequestState as a union:

<xs:simpleType name="extendedRequestState">
     <xs:union memberTypes="ns0:RequestState">
       <xs:simpleType>
         <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
           <xs:enumeration value="open.running.new1"/>
           <xs:enumeration value="open.running.new1"/>
           <xs:enumeration value="open.running.new1"/>
         </xs:restriction>
       </xs:simpleType>
     </xs:union>
   </xs:simpleType>

As a side note, in Relax NG that is really easy, assume that the base
schema defines a test element with 2 possible values, all it has to do
is to specify those values in a named pattern and allow it to be
combined with other patterns with the same name:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<grammar xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
     <start>
         <element name="test">
             <ref name="testValues"/>
         </element>
     </start>
     <define name="testValues" combine="choice">
         <choice>
             <value>ABORTED</value>
             <value>PARTIALLY_COMPLETED</value>
         </choice>
     </define>
</grammar>

Then the user will include this schema and specify in a testValues
pattern the additional values he wants to be allowed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<grammar xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
   <include href="test.rng"/>
   <define name="testValues" combine="choice">
     <choice>
       <value>open.running.new1</value>
       <value>open.running.new2</value>
       <value>open.running.new3</value>
     </choice>
   </define>
</grammar>

in compact syntax that will be

start = element test { testValues }
testValues |= "ABORTED" | "PARTIALLY_COMPLETED"

and:

include "test.rnc"
testValues |=
   "open.running.new1" | "open.running.new2" | "open.running.new3"

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina
http://www.oxygenxml.com