Partial validation of a schema (wish for Schema 1.1)

From: Antoli, Leo <Leo.Antoli@Misys.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:59:56 -0000
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi,

I suppose this is more a wish for Schema 1.1 than a question.

I sometimes need to validate an XML instance against a Schema but I don't
have all the information to create a full valid XML instance, i.e. I may
miss some required elements.

In this case I would like to know that the XML instance is valid against the
Schema apart from some required elements which I don't have.

One solution could be allowing a new type of processing such as partial
apart from lax, strict and none.

Any thoughts about how can I get partial validation at the moment? The only
idea I have so far is to duplicate the Schema elements and types and make
all children optional. But this is not really what I want; I'd like to use
the same types and elements.

Thanks.

Regards,
Leo Antoli