RE: Datatypes and mixed content

My guess at the rationale is that the use-case for mixed content is marking
up text.

There's no desire to support constructs such as

where it's more suitable to use an attribute, or to add tags around the
decimal value; therefore there's no support for this in the spec.

I think the underlying thinking is that XML Schema isn't designed to let you
describe any XML document whatsoever, it's only designed to allow you to
describe documents that are considered to be well designed.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/