From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of andrew welch
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 6:56 AM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: two elements with the same name but different types

Hi,

I'm trying to model the following in a schema:

<head>
  <title>the title<title>

Here the first <meta> has two fixed value attributes, then the following
three have fixed name attributes (which are all different fixed values)
but any content attributes.  The last meta contains two fixed value
attributes, like the first.

Is this possible to model with XML Schema?  Currently I have:

<xs:element name="head">
  <xs:complexType>
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element ref="title"/>

      <xs:element name="meta">
        <xs:complexType>
          <xs:attribute name="http-equiv" type="xs:string"
fixed="Content-Type"/>
          <xs:attribute name="content" type="xs:string"
fixed="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
        </xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>

      <xs:element name="meta">
        <xs:complexType>
	  <xs:attribute name="name" type="xs:string" fixed="fixed_1"/>
          <xs:attribute name="content" type="xs:string"/>
        </xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>

      <xs:element name="meta">
        <xs:complexType>
          <xs:attribute name="name" type="xs:string" fixed="fixed_2"/>
          <xs:attribute name="content" type="xs:string"/>
	</xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>

      <xs:element name="meta">
        <xs:complexType>
          <xs:attribute name="name" type="xs:string" fixed="fixed_4"/>
          <xs:attribute name="content" type="xs:string"
fixed="fixed_5"/>
	</xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>

I read that this is ok as long as the element definitions are local and
not global, but I still get the error:

"two elements with the same name <meta> but different types appear in
the content model"

The other problem is defining when "fixed_4" is the value for the name
attribute, "fixed_5" must be the value for the content attribute.
Isn't this a co-occurrence constraint?  In which case it's not possible
to do this in XML Schema...?

I'm writing this schema within an <xsl:import-schema> element in XSLT
2.0, so it's not possible to use Relax NG here.  This is to validate the
output as it's being generated by the transform... the alternative is to
do the validation as a seperate step in the pipeline, which might be the
only option....

thanks
andrew