XML Schema namespace association at the API level

From: Bryan Rasmussen <BRS@itst.dk>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 11:18:42 +0100
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi,

Most processors I'm familiar with allow some sort of association of schemas
with namespaces via the API so that one can have a list of schemas maintained
by the API seperate from the actual Schemas, allowing the Processor to take
care of scenarios such as
Schema # 1 uses xsd:any with processContents= strict when content of the
document at the point where xsd:any is allowed is in namespace x without
Schema #1 referencing Schema #2 which validates x directly.

This basically gives the same capability that one can have with
xsi:schemaLocation at the instance to the application.

The thing I'm wondering about is, is this capacity defined anywhere in the
XML Schema specs? I'm looking in "4 Schemas and Namespaces: Access and
Composition" http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#composition and I can't find
anything. Anywhere else? Different Processors seem to implement this
differently, and it doesn't seem to me to be the kind of thing that one would
require of a spec, thus my question. Hope this question was clear.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen