RE: General question

It's a bit difficult to see from your example which elements are supposed to
"have the same structure": there are too many ellipses.

There are several ways you can achieve reuse of definitions. You can define
a base type that includes the common attributes, and then define additional
types derived by extension that add different child elements to this base
definition. Or you can make all your element (or type) definitions
independent top-level definitions, but have them pull in named attribute
groups or named model groups for cases where there are shared components.
(It's a bit like the two ways of achieving reuse in an object system:
inheritance and delegation.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/