RE: XML result of Schema validation

Let me add a little to Mike's response, which is correct as far as it
goes.    The way I look at it is this:  XML Schema Part 1 gives you a
taxonomy of the information that can be discovered by validating an
instance against a schema.  That information is called the Post Schema
Validation Infoset (PSVI.  XSLT transforms what I'll loosely call an
instance using a stylesheet.  In the case of XSLT, the instance is modeled
by the XPath data model abstraction.

As Mike says, there is no normative dependence of XSLT 1.0 on XML Schema,
and the obvious way to build the XPath data model for XSLT 1.0 is to run a
simple (schema unaware) parser over your XML.  Then again, there is
nothing preventing someone from writing a piece of software that builds
the XPath data model for XSLT in a different way, and in particular by
using the whitespace normalized information from a PSVI.  There is no
Recommendation or other standard covering such a connection at this time,
and I'm not aware of any widely deployed software that does this for you,
but you wouldn't be violating any Recommendations if you built such
software.  You'd just be making a connection that was a bit less than
obvious and not covered (or probilited) by the standards, as far as I
know.

As Mike also says or implies, XSLT 2.0 is schema-aware, and you can read
the proposed mappings [1] from PSVI to the XPath data model to see how
schema will normatively affect XSLT processing in version 2.0.  Even
there, you could use your own nonstandard mappings, but you or someone
would have to write the necessary special purpose mapping software.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#const-psvi

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation