Re: Empty attributes

From: Olivier Lefevre <lefevrol@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:55:32 +0200
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

>>any DTD-focused newsgroup or mailing list.
> This list isn't DTD-focused, it is XML Schema-focused.

Sorry, somehow I truncated my message when I copied it.
What I meant to write is that I didn't find and DTD-focused
forum, so I hoped this one would do, as DTDs are often used
as a poor man's schema.

> Doing this in XML Schema is no problem.

So, one workaround would be to convert the DTD to a schema
and make that chnage in the schema? Do you know if parsers
that use catalogs will let you substitute a schema for a DTD
without complaining? They are different things.

> It's a strange historical relic of SGML than enumerated
 > values defined in a DTD have to be valid names. The reason
 > is that SGML (when the moon is right) allows the quotes on
 > an attribute value to be omitted.

I guess that means there is no way to allow empty attributes
if the corresponding DTD declaration is enumerated, right?

Thanks again very much,

-- O.L.