Re: "For compatibility" in XML Schema

From: <Paul.V.Biron@kp.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:24:26 -0800
To: mike@saxonica.com
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org

> The definition itself seems nonsense when you read it carefully. What
> actually seems to have happened is that XML Schema includes some
> which are provided only to make life easier for people moving forward
> DTDs. These features are provided "for compatibility".

Actually, the reasoning was the other way around...although you are right
that the definition we ended up with doesn't really reflect that

What was meant was that if you use NMTOKEN only on attributes then you can
be sure that (that portion of) your schema could be translated to a DTD. I
completely agree that this sense of compatibility isn't really
important...but there were a number of people back in 1999/2000 who
thought it was/would be.