RE: SV: SV: Schema help

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:44:13 -0500
To: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: "'Bryan Rasmussen'" <brs@itst.dk>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org, "',petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com'" <", petexmldev"@tech-know-ware.com>

Michael Kay writes:

> I would resist this kind of thinking. SQL was successful because it
> put functionality first, and left implementors to devise
> optimisation strategies.

I am sympathetic to this as one side of the tradeoff, but I don't think it
entirely settles the question.  The Principle of Least Power [1] suggests
that we don't want to use a bulldozer when a simple hammer will do.  Even
SQL succeeds in part because it is declarative and ammenable to
optimization in ways that a more general or more imperative language might
not be.  I agree that we should not necessarily design the language around
particular optimizations, but I do believe it's important to convince
ourselves that it is likely to be optimizable.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Principles.html#PLP

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation