RE: SV: SV: Schema help

Michael Kay writes:

> I would resist this kind of thinking. SQL was successful because it
> put functionality first, and left implementors to devise
> optimisation strategies.

I am sympathetic to this as one side of the tradeoff, but I don't think it
entirely settles the question.  The Principle of Least Power [1] suggests
that we don't want to use a bulldozer when a simple hammer will do.  Even
SQL succeeds in part because it is declarative and ammenable to
optimization in ways that a more general or more imperative language might
not be.  I agree that we should not necessarily design the language around
particular optimizations, but I do believe it's important to convince
ourselves that it is likely to be optimizable.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Principles.html#PLP

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation