Re: Versioning of XML Schema and namespaces

Hi,

I thought this made interesting reading in light of what you have been
saying. I think what it's saying is that even though versioning is
included in the namespace a vocabulary becomes static at that point -
*
UBL and Object-Oriented XML: Making Type-Aware Systems Work
<http://www.idealliance.org/papers/dx_xml03/papers/04-04-04/04-04-04.pdf>*http://www.idealliance.org/papers/dx_xml03/papers/04-04-04/04-04-04.pdf

I'd be interested to hear some counter arguments, perhaps?

Cheers,

Fraser

Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:

>Uh oh. There is clearly significant divergence here.
>
>There appear to be 2 1/2 positions:
>
>1. very formal versioning of namespace identifiers - major.minor
>revision number etc - this is in all three of the XML Naming and Design
>Rules documents recently published by DON, UN/CEFACT and OASIS
>http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2005-01-31-a.html
>
>2. no versioning - eloquently argued by Eliot Kimber in particular, on
>both conceptual and practical grounds, but the latter disputed by a few
>people.
>
>2'. slipping a date into the identifier - this is W3C's approach (e.g.
>http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema) though not clear that this is a fully
>thoughtful position in relation to *XML Namespaces*, or is just a
>consequence of W3C's URL design pattern which partly follows TimBL's
>Cool URI's principles where he presented a weak argument for dating
>everything. However, it does provide a potential snug home for
>relatively coarse-grained versioning if required.
>
>Maybe a horses-for-courses case - different approaches apply to
>different use-cases?
>Can we enumerate what these are?
>Probably related to language volatility, and consequent maintenance
>burden and capacity,
>which in turn is probably related to organisational capacity.
>
>Simon Cox

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or postmaster@solnetsolutions.co.nz as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of SolNet Solutions Ltd.