RE: Versioning of XML Schema and namespaces

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:59:13 +0100
To: "'Dan Vint'" <dvint@dvint.com>, "'Fraser Crichton'" <fraser.crichton@solnetsolutions.co.nz>, "'Eliot Kimber'" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, <John.Hockaday@ga.gov.au>

> That's my reason for using the namespace with a version.
>
> I understand all the stated reasons for not doing this, but
> out of the box
> there is nothing else that will consistently and
> automatically trip up
> validation if I don't have the "right" file being used to validate my
> documents.

You might make it easier for the recipient to do validation by including a
version in the namespace, but you are making it hideously difficult for the
recipient to process the incoming documents using namespace-aware tools such
as XSLT and XQuery - as anyone who has tried to write code that handles the
different flavours of RSS can tell you.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/