Re: Versioning of XML Schema and namespaces

From: Dan Vint <dvint@dvint.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 07:57:15 -0700
To: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>,John.Hockaday@ga.gov.au
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

At 07:26 AM 5/10/2005, Eliot Kimber wrote:
>- What abstract "application" the document applies to. This is indicated
>by the namespace. There is no analog of this in DTD-land. People *tried*
>to use public identifiers in this way, but that's not what they were
>intended to mean. This declaration can be *reliably* used by processors to
>associate documents with both validation rules (schemas) and business
>rules (e.g., XSLTs, Java classes, import/export rules for content
>management systems, etc.).

I agree with the idea that namespaces could provide this functionality,
except that most folks recommend not versioning the namespace. I believe
you or someone in this thread suggested using the version attribute for
this function. Well that might work if the parsers actually did something
with the version attribute. The only mechanism that I can be sure will be
caught by the parser is to use the namespace with a version to indicate
that the document conforms to a different version of the standard than
someone else might be using.

..dan
Danny Vint

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703