From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Kay
Sent: maandag 9 mei 2005 10:10
To: John.Hockaday@ga.gov.au; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Cc: ":www-xml-schema-comments"@w3.org
Subject: RE: Versioning of XML Schema and namespaces

Personally I think the combination of a namespace and a version attribute in
the document element is a better way of asserting conformance to a
particular version of an external standard than use of a schemaLocation. The
reason for that is that the semantics of xsi:schemaLocation as defined in
the XML Schema specification don't say it's an assertion about conformance,
they say it's a hint about where to find a schema to use for validation.  I
think it's a mistake to overlay different semantics onto an attribute
outside your control; and more practically, using this attribute as a
conformance assertion prevents people using it to point to a local copy of a
schema.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/