RE: Multiple schemas in one document

The spec permits it (the xs:schema element doesn't have to be the outermost
element of a document, and the definition of "schema document" is actually
an xs:schema element rather than an XML document as such). But the spec
doesn't go out of its way to encourage the practice and I'm not aware of
schema processors that enable it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/