RE: Using XML Schema inline?

From: Michael Champion <mcham@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:15:46 -0800
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

[mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]
> On Behalf Of Jonas Voss
> Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:46 AM
> To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
> Subject: Using XML Schema inline?
>

> I've been asked to make a current XML-document using an inline DTD
into
> a XML-document using inline XML Schema, instead of the DTD. The Schema
> has to be inline, because it has to be one file only.
>
> I've googled for inline XML schema definitions, because I am not sure
> how I would implement it.

It's supported in the Microsoft XML tools, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/
html/xmconvalidationinlineschemas.asp

AFAIK this will not interoperate (except at the XML syntax level) with
other tools.  Inline schema support seem to be consistent with the
various Recommendations, but not mandated by any.  FWIW,
http://www.codeguru.com/Csharp/Csharp/cs_data/xml/article.php/c4235/
suggests avoiding inline schemas whenever possible.