Re: deriving mixed content types

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:35:01 +0000
To: jbekaert@lanl.gov
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

"jeroen bekaert" <jbekaert@lanl.gov> writes:

> Derivation by extension can be used to append new content after the
> content of the base type; however - if not mistaken - the structure of the
> base type must be kept unchanged. As such, it is not possible to derive a
> mixed content model from an element-only content model (and vice versa).

> The content type of the base type definition of SCHEMA 1 below is empty.
> Is it correct to derive (by extension) a content type 'mixed' of a base
> type definition with an empty content type?

> Can someone point me to the clause of the W3C XML Schema spec
> confirming/forbidding the below extension constructs?

>From Schema Component Constraint: Derivation Valid (Extension) [1]

  1.4.3 All of the following must be true: The {content type} of the complex type definition itself
            must specify a particle. One of the following must be true: The {content type} of the {base type definition} must
                be _empty_. All of the following must be true: Both {content type}s must be _mixed_ or both must be
        . . .

Hope this helps,

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-1-20041028/structures.html#cos-ct-extends
                     Half-time member of W3C Team