Re: Algorithm for computing the cardinality of a simpleType?

> Note that I am assuming that the enumeration facet takes precedence
> over all
> other facets.  I believe that this is true, isn't it?

I don't think it is. Just because a value satisfies one facet doesn't
give a free ride past the others.

I like your organization into three parts (pattern, enumerations, and
range), but unfortunately you need the *intersection* of each part's
value space. Consider this variation of your exanmple:

> <simpleType name="foo">
>     <restriction base="byte">
>         <pattern value=".*[13579]"/>  <!-- odd numbers -->
>         <minInclusive value="0"/>
>         <maxInclusive value="35"/>
>         <enumeration value="11"/>
>         <enumeration value="22"/>
>         <enumeration value="33"/>
>         <enumeration value="44"/>
>         <enumeration value="55"/>
>     </restriction>
> </simpleType>

The value space is {11, 33} with cardinality 2.

Algorithm becomes:

1. Compute range [lo..hi], as before.

2. If enumeration present,
        cardinality is number of enumeration values that are in [lo..hi]
and satisfy any pattern values;
        done.

3. If pattern present,
        cardinality is number of values in [lo..hi] that satisfy pattern
values;
        done.

3. Otherwise, cardinality is hi - lo + 1.

xan