RE: chairs' summary of XML Schema User Experiences workshop

From: Michael Champion <mcham@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:34:58 -0700
To: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>, "XML Schema developers list" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> -----Original Message-----
> From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org
[mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]
> On Behalf Of C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
> Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:27 PM
> To: XML Schema developers list
> Subject: chairs' summary of XML Schema User Experiences workshop
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/06/21-schema-workshop/chairs-report.html

>From what I understand from talking to participants and reading the
minutes, "only weak support, however, for proposals to drop XML Schema
1.1 from the Working Group's task list" is somewhat backwards.  There
was only weak support for finishing XML 1.1 according to the table in
the minutes. (11 people thought it was something W3C should do, compared
to 23 who wanted a focus on errata, 22 who wanted a focus on a test
suite, 21 who wanted the Wiki).  Similarly, 18 participants said they
would contribute to the Wiki, but only 5 said they would send people to
the WG to finish 1.1.

As the old saying goes, "when you find yourself in a hole, stop
digging." The sentiment of the XML industry as I read it is that XSD
should be corrected via errata, clarified and explained in the Wiki,
implemented properly with the help of the test suite, and THEN we can
start thinking about 1.1.