RE: support for substitution groups, support for redefines?

As far as I know Saxon supports redefines according to the spec, but:

(a) there are very few test cases in the W3C test suite so it's hard to be
sure

(b) by the nature of the facility, the design is very fragile

(c) even if you follow the spec and the product implements it correctly, you
can get into an awful mess

therefore I wouldn't recommend using it.

Substitution groups are fine, I don't see any problem with them.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/