Re: Handling the enumeration facet

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:08:41 +0000
To: "Klaas Dellschaft" <klaasd@uni-koblenz.de>
Cc: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>, "'George Cristian Bina'" <george@oxygenxml.com>, "'Xan Gregg'" <xan.gregg@jmp.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

So I'm now not sure what the right answer is.

The crucial question is, is xs:string validly derived from s2?

It appears that it is, because clause 2.2.4 of Schema Component
Constraint: Type Derivation OK (Simple) [1] is satisfied:

  2.2.4 B's {variety} is union and D is validly derived from a type
  definition in B's {member type definitions} given the subset, as
  defined by this constraint.

where B is s2 and D is xs:string.

This is arguably a bug, because the facets of B are being ignored.  I
believe this is a known bug, but don't have time to check the issues
lists just now.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#cos-st-derived-ok
                     Half-time member of W3C Team