RE: Use of key/keyref - any best practices? warnings?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:28:58 -0000
To: <lists@jeffrafter.com>, "'Nigel Hardy'" <nwh@aber.ac.uk>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> Agreed. Except that I think it feels wrong because nothing
> else in the
> spec works this way. QNames are already present in other
> locations, why
> does the default namespace not apply to the XPath steps in
> content? No
> don't answer that... I know I know... it's just that it
> *should* work :)

XSLT 1.0/XPath 1.0 decided that when QNames appeared in attribute content,
they would behave like attribute names - that is, the default namespace
would not apply; but when XML Schema 1.0 introduced namespaces in their
content, they decided they would behave like elements - the default
namespace *would* apply. So where you have both conventions in the same XML
document, it is indeed confusing.

We do try to coordinate, honest!

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/