Re: empty elements and xsd:string

From: George Cristian Bina <george@oxygenxml.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:13:47 +0200
To: Bryan Rasmussen <brs@itst.dk>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Bryan,

That is an empty string. For instance the XML Schema specification part
2 contains an example that defines a non empty string so it is clear
that the empty string is accepted by xs:string.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/
4 Datatype components
4.3 Constraining Facets
4.3.2 minLength
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#rf-minLength

Example
The following is the definition of a ˇuser-derivedˇ datatype which
requires strings to have at least one character (i.e., the empty string
is not in the ˇvalue spaceˇ of this datatype).

<simpleType name='non-empty-string'>
   <restriction base='string'>
     <minLength value='1'/>
   </restriction>