RE: performance testing of schemas

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:26:04 -0000
To: "'Henry S. Thompson'" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "'Bryan Rasmussen'" <brs@itst.dk>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> My experience is that schema 'compilation' completely swamps
> schema-based
> 'validation', so the first thing to do in any performance testing is
> to separate these two phases.

With this in mind I've been thinking about "lazy" or incremental compilation
of schemas, to avoid compiling the parts that aren't used in a particular
validation episode.

Is it conformant to use a schema for validating instances without reporting
the errors that appear in unused parts of the schema?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/